Dental Sealants Germantown, MD
Dental sealants are thin coatings that when painted on the chewing surfaces of the molars can prevent cavities for many years. School-age children (ages 6-11) without sealants have almost 3 times more 1st molar cavities than those with sealants.
Dental sealants are most often recommended for children; our dentist frequently recommends sealants for the permanent molars as soon as they come in, which is usually between the ages of 6 and 12 years. We can apply dental sealants in just one short, comfortable visit to our practice. Sealants can be a powerful tool in preventing decay and keeping your smile healthy.
What are sealants?
- Sealants are thin coatings painted on teeth to protect them from cavities. They flow into the deep grooves of teeth and harden immediately so a child is able to chew right away.
- Sealants prevent the most cavities when applied soon after permanent molars come into the mouth (around age 6 for 1st molars and age 12 for 2nd molars).
- Sealants can be applied by a dentist, dental hygienist, or other qualified dental professional.
Why use sealants?
- Sealants are a quick, easy, and painless way to prevent most of the cavities children get in the permanent back teeth, where 9 in 10 cavities occur.
- Once applied, sealants protect against 80% of cavities for 2 years and continue to protect against 50% of cavities for up to 4 years.
- Sealants can eliminate the need for expensive and invasive treatments like dental fillings or crowns.
Protect your children’s oral health
Sealants are applied in one visit
Call today to schedule an appointment